Monday, October 2, 2017

Planning with Intention (Online Reflection #2)

As September moves to October and as the semester is already somehow nearing its halfway point, I find myself more and more concerned about developing content and lessons for my current students and my future students. As Randy Bomer says it, “[t]he notion of design – of carefully combining elements to achieve a particular response – is crucial” (12).

While I may not have all the answers right now about how to plan an effective unit, I have many resources that can guide me through planning to the best of my ability. While my mentor teacher and I seem to have different outlooks and teaching styles, I know I can use her advice to plan my five-day unit I will be teaching at the end of this month. She wants me to do a transition between the semester’s two texts by facilitating a movie viewing of The Inevitable Defeat of Mister and Pete. I watched the movie, and I liked it; it even made me cry. But how should I incorporate it as a transition between two memoirs written by two completely different people? What should the students be doing while watching the movie, especially because my mentor teacher told me today that they should not just be answering questions or filling out a worksheet.


I think it is important for me to first think of the movie as a text. As Peter Smagorinsky points out in Teaching English by Design, “[a] text is any meaning-laden product” (116). With that in mind, I think I can move forward in developing my unit as if I was teaching any other text. Smagorinsky also notes to “giv[e] students an overall sense of direction and continuity for their learning” (123). The connecting theme of both memoirs the students will be reading is growing up under harsh conditions and living in poverty. The movie moves the students from a foreign country to our own, which will transition them to the second memoir, also set in our own country. If I make my teaching and the reason we are watching the film transparent, I think students will get more out of viewing it.

Another great way of viewing film as a learning tool is to look at it as a “cultural document” (Chen) that allows students to explore certain “values and social issues” (Chen). This opens up another field of literary analysis, which I think would be interesting to explore in my unit as well. What is the best way to break down a film to find the meaning? This may be what I decide to have the students focus on while actually watching the movie.

Up to this point in the semester, I have seen a lot of resistance to reading in my placement class. I don’t know the reason, but it’s clear that many students are not reading, and if they are, they are not retaining a lot of what they read. Bomer uses an analogy in Building Adolescent Literacy in Today’s English Classrooms that I didn’t originally like upon reading it because I thought it was callous and downplaying the seriousness of eating disorders. He said, “[the students’] resistance to reading can almost be like an eating disorder – a way of asserting their control of their own mind and activity” (Bomer 70). Regardless of the analogy, I think his argument stands. The students in my placement class are resisting reading, possibly as a way to control their own life. With that in mind, maybe watching a film to connect one text to the next will be a good way for them to still learn relevant skills and talk about important themes, but change the pace of the classroom for a week.

Whatever reason the students have for reading resistance, I want to keep that in mind while planning my own unit. I must combat resistance but still “believe in student’s competence and intelligence” (Bomer 22). One of the most important things I can do while planning is not think about what the students can’t or won’t do, but think about all they are capable of. I have been with them long enough to discover the class attitude and individuality, and I want to make sure to use that in planning a unit that they will not only learn from but enjoy.

After reading Bomer I know and believe that “[p]rofessional English educators owe it to their students to use the knowledge of the profession in order to do the best by their students” (6). I have gained a lot of knowledge in my English methods classes and through my various observations. While introducing the theme of poverty, I want to use a value line discussion to get students engaged in the many issues that accompany poverty. This will get students out of their seats, something my mentor teacher really pushes, and allow for discussion on a broad scale without seeming like there is one right answer. I also need to think of an after-viewing activity that is relevant, one of the most important things stressed in all of the texts I have read, and engaging for the students. As long as I keep everything I have learned in mind, an open mind to new ideas, and remember to breath through any hiccups my lesson may have along the way, I know my intentions are good and I believe my students will partake in a curriculum that will widen their knowledge of our world.

Planning can be daunting, but taking everything a step at a time and using all the resources I have available to me will help ease the concerns and questions I have.

Bomer, Randy. Building Adolescent Literacy in Today’s English Classrooms.
            Heinemann, 2011.

Chen, Milton. “Reading Movies: Learning How Film Communicates.” Edutopia, 12 Mar.
            2007, https://www.edutopia.org/reading-movies/.

Smagorinsky, Peter. Teaching English by Design: How to Create and Carry out

            Instructional Units. Heinemann, 2008.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Kimberly,

    I like the idea that your unit will be connecting the two texts being read in class. I know that I had some worries before I taught my unit to the sixth graders. Is your mentor teacher planning to look over the unit you create to help give you some feedback?

    I think that a good idea to help students understand what they are reading more would be to spend one day reading the text together and discussing it as a class (if there is enough time in your day). I feel like it would help them know what to look for when reading and help the students be more confident in understanding the novels.

    I like your idea of looking at the movie as a literary analysis. I have never really thought to look at a movie like that but I think it would help the students learn how to analyze texts.

    I cannot wait to hear how your unit goes at the end of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this post, Kimberly, and I applaud your plan to design before- and after-reading strategies to accompany the film. You might consider taking a look at Kylene Beers' before-, during-, and after-reading strategies in When Kids Can't Read (CI 616). You might get some ideas for what they can do during the film to think more deeply about it. Perhaps there are a couple spots where you can stop the film and have them reflect, write, discuss, or something else.

    ReplyDelete